After seeing a recipe in my Facebook feed yesterday I felt the need to get up and make it immediately. The girls were still asleep and Zack had just bought the best organic bananas a day or so ago, they were just screaming to be made into something other than my morning smoothies. The only problem, the recipe had an egg in it. And, with allergies, we can’t have eggs. Well, I am still learning this whole egg free baking thing, and it’s always an adventure to say the least. However, I was determined to get this right, and I did! The girls got up to something that smelled similar to banana bread, but better. The name came from both girls, they thought that chunky monkey should definitely be apart of it.
What do you need?
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax
3 tablespoons warm water
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup milk (you can make this with your favorite milk alternative)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand)
What do you do?
1. Mix up your ground flax and water, set aside.
2. Sift together your flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl mix together until combined your bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla, and flax “egg”.
4. Stir in your chocolate chips.
5. If needed, grease your muffin tins. Fill your muffin tin 3/4 of the way full. This recipe made 16 muffins.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
adapted from Noble Pig